Are considering holding your next celebration outdoors? We are increasingly asked for balloons to decorate outdoor events. So read on to find out what you need to know when it comes to planning your balloons.
- There are no guarantees when you take balloons outdoors! This is the first thing that I explain to my customers and should be the first thing you are told by any trained Balloon Decorator. Am I trying to put you off? Not at all! I just want you to understand that balloons placed outside are unlikely to last as long as balloons you have kept inside.
- Balloons are not made to be outdoors. Let me explain, I promise I am not trying to change your mind about this! Balloons are hugely affected by weather. Heat from the sun can cause balloons to expand and burst. Rain can cause balloons to stick together and then any movement or expansion can cause bursting. Wind blowing the balloons around can, I’m sure you can guess this, cause balloons to burst. Given the unpredictable UK weather this is important to keep in mind.
- Where will the balloons be placed? If possible, keep balloons out of direct sunlight. For example, if you are planning on a balloon garland to decorate a teepee tent, can this be turned around so that the entrance with the garland is not in direct sunlight? Alternatively, if you are planning on a having gazebo or marque, then placing balloons inside provides them with some shelter from wind and rain, compared to having balloons on the outside of the structure. If you want to attach balloons to a structure already in the garden, consider what this structure is made from. Metal can get very hot or cold which can burst any balloons in direct contact. Can you attach the balloons elsewhere, or can the metal be temporarily be covered before the balloons are attached?
- What colours will you choose? A Balloon Decorator will always recommend light and pastel colours for outdoors. Lighter colours mean that the balloons will absorb less heat in warm weather and stand a better chance of lasting.
- What style of balloon decoration will you choose? Modern organic styles are a good choice for outdoor decoration. If a few balloons pop here or there it will not be immediately obvious compared to a traditional design where one missing balloon can stand out.
- Always let your Balloon Decorator know that the balloons will be outdoors. I know this seems obvious… but often people just ask for balloons and don’t think to let us know this! There are a few tricks that can be used by your Balloon Decorator when assembling the balloons to further help them survive outside, but only if we know this is needed.
Finally, relax and enjoy your celebration! With a little thought and pre-planning your balloons should last the duration of your event, so you can relax and enjoy your party.
About the author
Claire is a trained Balloon Decorator and owner of Balloon Base Essex.